Founded by Tom Van Denend and Paul Wood, ShelterWorks Ltd. is the exclusive manufacturer of Faswall®, a unique insulated wood chip-cement building block for building highly energy-efficient, healthy homes and commercial buildings.
Faswall® has been in production since 1987.
We also provide building information, resources, and technical assistance to our building partners on all related aspects of building with the Faswall® block — from design and building science advice and resources, to architectural details and engineering counsel.
We also manufacture and sell beautiful and long-lasting raised bed garden kits using Faswall® block.
Our combined skills and experience in building construction, engineering, and public service has established a manufacturing plant with a clear vision to produce the highest quality wood-fiber cement composite building material possible.
Our Guiding, Uncompromising Principles
- We are adamantly opposed to “fast-build culture”, whereby the owner seeks maximum profit at the expense of using quality products. We believe in using only the highest quality building materials for enduring structures.
- We reject non-durable and low thermal performance building materials, therefore, we are opposed to using traditional 2×4 or 2×6 lumber for building.
- We are concerned with human health issues, which is why we’ve built a product that eliminates vapor barriers in buildings, which lock in toxins, indoor pollutants, and mold, and lead to rot and human health concerns.
- We believe in protecting the environment. Calling our building material “green and sustainable” is far more than a buzz phrase — we can prove our product’s sustainability.
- To ensure the best support, we do not sell our products on the general market through retailers. It is available only straight from our manufacturing plant in Oregon, and comes with resources, services, and support.
Respect & Support for Builders
We have a mission to see that customers receive personal attention and answers to their questions. Our team members provide clear advice, objective building science, and connections to our network of building professionals.
We build relationships with builders, designers, architects, other related manufacturers, and building science professionals to enhance the quality of the overall building experience for our customers.
We have a high respect for individual builders seeking the healthiest and highest energy-performing building envelope possible, given the restrictions of budgets, timelines, and capacities.
We journey with many of our customers as they prepare to build, gather information, and eventually build the structures of their long-thorough planning. This journey is one requiring trust, perseverance and openness — three values we directly provide with our detailed and caring support.